I had been using the Philips Avent Breast SCF330/30 Pump Manual, Clear when I was breastfeeding my first baby but a manual pump wasn’t working fast enough for me, so I browsed through all the breast pumps on Amazon and finally decided to buy the portable Medela Freestyle Double Electric Breast pump.
Mine is Made in Switzerland and already comes with the 2- or 3-pin plug and 240v mains adapter, which is suitable for Malaysia and Singapore.
How is the Medela Freestyle Breast Pump?
As a Mom who needs to cook, do laundry and drive a toddler to preschool, I just *LOVE* how compact, light and powerful the Medela Freestyle electric double breastpump is!!! 😀
The seller from the UK had already slotted the battery into the breast pump for me.
NOTE: DO NOT REMOVE THE BATTERY as it will reset the motor settings.
As recommended, I gave it a full 24-hour overnight charge. When fully charged, the text “BATT” stops blinking and you’ll see 5 bars of battery like you do on your cellphone.
The breast pump has 9 levels of suction power.
- The “stimulation phase” goes on for 2 minutes and then it switches to “let down” mode.
- You can also choose to switch to “let down” mode earlier by pressing the “droplets” symbol (bottom left).
Sigh…what technology! I switched between levels 4 and 5 because I wasn’t used to an electric breast pump after using a manual one for so long. Breastfeeding mothers are so lucky these days 😀
During the first attempt, I could express my regular 2 oz from the “active” side and a few drops from the “inactive” side. The actual pumping session took about 12 minutes only!
However, I am having some problems using the Medela Freestyle because:
1. The hands-free accessories do not work for me
I’m a Marilyn Monroe, remember? Thus, it was tough getting the rubber straps to secure the bottles to my bra band and keep them straight enough for the expression.
I think that the double electric breast pump + hands-free function will be perfect for ladies whose bra sizes are A, B, C or maybe even D.
2. I’m having difficulty handling 2 breast shields while pumping.
At my first attempt, I used the Medela Soft Fit breast shield on the “active” side and the 27 mm (L) Medela PersonalFit breast shield on the “inactive” side. I stopped at Level 5.
Because the hands-free straps are not helpful, it was quite a stressful breast pumping session!
I would buy a hands-free pumping bustier which would hold the 2 bottles better.Simple Wishes Foundation Nursing and Hands Free Breast Pumping Bra, Blush, X-Large (Busty) 40-42 DD-H (US$24.99)
At my second attempt, I used it as a single electric pump and stopped at Level 4. Switching to the Personal Fit breast shield on my “active” side, I find that the L size may be a bit too big. I got less than 2 oz! Dunno if it’s due to the lower suction level too because I got 0 on my “inactive” side 🙁
Read this post to check if you’ve got the correct sized breast shield.
100% DETACHABLE FOR CLEANING
Every part of the Medela Freestyle breast pump i.e. the breast shields, the connectors, the circular membranes (no tiny, sticky, fragile membranes) and the feeding bottles can be detached for washing.
Unlike the Medela Harmony, which a kind friend lent me to use for a while…
Also, Medela sells the spare parts for the Medela Freestyle
– This means that you COULD buy a used Medela Freestyle and replace the breast shields, the connectors and the feeding bottles and set up a NEW Medela breast pump for yourself!
WARNING: The above depends on how the previous owner used and kept the breast pump because it’s an ALL electric breast pump, which does not have a manual mode.
The rechargeable battery is meant to last for 20 hours. Always remember to charge your battery!
Thoughtful Tote Bag
You can really pack everything into the cute and stylish tote bag that comes with it.
I also love the 4 Medela bottles, the freezing block and the milk storage bag that came with the breast pump.
Working mothers who need a small, double electric breast pump to support their breastfeeding journey may consider the Medela Freestyle double electric breast pump.
If you need a heavy-duty breast pump, though, you’re better off with the Medela Pump in Style…
Medela Pump in Style Hospital Grade Breast Pump (US$179.98)
Pump In Style Advanced is a double electric breast pump designed for moms who pump several times a day.
Medela’s breast pumps work more like breastfeeding babies to deliver the milk you need to provide for your baby even when you’re not there.
- For portable, discreet pumping
- Three stylish microfiber bags to choose from (On-the-go-tote, Backpack, or the Metro Bag): Holds everything you need to pump
- Battery pack (The Metro Bag’s is in a soft pouch): Lets you pump anywhere, anytime
- Single knob speed/vacuum adjustments: For comfortable pump settings
- Removable cooler bag with contoured ice pack: Holds 4 breast milk bottles and ice pack to keep breast milk bottles cool
- All parts that touch breast milk are made without BPA: Safe for you and your baby
- On-the-go Tote also features: – Built-in bottle holders and Tubing storage pocket: Help prevent spills and keeps tubing organized between pumping sessions
- Dual voltage: 110-240v allows mom to pump while traveling outside the United States
AVENT ISIS – Best single manual pump for travel
If you need to travel a lot and you are not sure you will have electricity, I’d strongly recommend that you buy the highly recommended Philips Avent Breast Manual Breast Pump SCF330/30 (US$25.93)