Whether you’re a breastfeeding or formula-feeding Mother, the decision of which BRAND of baby bottle you buy probably depends on:
c) ease of washing
d) supportive of breastfeeding and
e) safety especially with the latest buzz on BPA-free plastics.
As an avid AVENT supporter from the start since 2006, it has been tough switching from AVENT to another brand, especially as my boy is very particular about his brand of baby bottles.
Now that I have another baby, I am trying out Tommee Tippee and MAM.
+ HIGHLY supportive of breastfeeding i.e. 0, 1 and 2 nipples feature a S-L-O-W drip, which means the baby will not experience a) nipple confusion (common in babies who have been introduced to the bottle with a fast flow) and b) nipple rejection;
+ wide-necked bottle, which is easy to wash
+ anti-colic (at least I’ve not had colic problems so far because I breastfeed and burp the baby fine?)
*BEST* Philips Avent Breast SCF330/30 Pump Manual, Clear ($25.99)
– Enhanced design allows you to sit in a more comfortable expressing position
– Soft massage cushion with warm feel gently stimulates natural let down and milk flow
– Includes Philips Avent natural bottle and teat for natural latch on making it easier to combine breast and bottle feeding
2. Tommee Tippee
(right: clear, hourglass shaped bottle in the photo)
I thought that Tommee Tippee would replace AVENT due to its super soft nipple 😉
+ Made of polypropylene (PP) – BPA-free!
+ Relatively cheaper than AVENT
Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Colour My World Baby Bottle, Anti-Colic, Breast-like Nipple – Girl
– The nipple deflates MANY TIMES during a baby’s feed – My baby is only drinking 4 oz now but I’ve had to pull the nipple out gently because she’s sucked it flat. The nipple is also in danger of coming out of the white ring and spilling milk all over everyone!
***PLEASE READ THE COMMENTS BELOW FOR FEEDBACK FROM OTHER MOTHERS ***
I think that Tommee Tippee is incredibly innovative with the Express and Go Pouches (20 pcs) because you can express directly into a pre-sterilised pouch using any pump you like.
- Pouch clicks securely to in pump and bottle so no need to transfer milk.
- Single use pouch, pre-sterilised for complete safety.
- Screw top lid for security whilst stored in fridge or freezer.
- Fits pumps from all major brands using the Tommee Tippee Express & Go breast pump adapter set
- Compact, lightweight and recyclable.
3. MAM Ulti-vent anti-colic bottle
(purple, pink and blue bottles in the photo)
+ various colours and super cute designs! I can differentiate between the milk and water bottles AND the boy’s and the girl’s bottles. Also, who doesn’t like a bit of colour?
+ made from polypropolene (PP), which is naturally BPA-free
+ relatively scratch-proof
+ can be separated into 3 sections, which makes for 100% cleanliness
+ relatively cheaper than AVENT
– NOT supportive of breastfeeding especially in the first few months because the nipple doesn’t encourage the ‘baby bird wide open’ mouth babies need in order to latch on for direct breastfeeding and
– the FAST FLOW of liquids even at the smallest nipple No. 1 made my baby immediately reject the breast after just one session with MAM’s bottles!
Of all the THREE brands of baby bottles I have experienced with my two babies, I’d choose AVENT and Tommee Tippee bottles, especially as I want to breastfeed my baby girl. ^_^