≑ Menu

Air Asia’s nasi lemak

I couldn’t help asking my Malaysian visitors what they had on the flight here and almost died when they said nasi lemak (white rice steamed in coconut milk, pandanus leaves accompanied with deep fried anchovies in chilli with onions paste (sambal ikan bilis), hardboiled eggs and cucumber slices!

When I let out a loud sigh, mother-in-law said she didn’t know I was craving for it or she would have happily smuggled in a box for me from KLIA…(she’d brought over some pandan kaya).

Anyway, one of the nicest nasi lemak I’ve ever had (out of desperation) was on board Air Asia’s flight.

After settling in the tot, I quickly glanced at their menu and found this mouth-watering temptation called “Pak Nasser’s Nasi Lemak” selling for RM8.

airasia-nasi-lemak

No idea who “Pak Nasser” is or even if he exists (sounds suspiciously like a fictitious character created by the marketing department!). I’m only interested in chicken rendang and nasi lemak LOL

Placing the order, I waited in anticipation (with that rich, sensual image and imaginary fragrance of steaming hot nasi lemak in my mind…).

Salivating already when this foil box (silver coffin?) was placed in front of me:

airasia-nasi-lemak-foil-box

What a total contrast from the photo on the menu, right??? Believing in the adage “Do not judge a book by its cover”, I opened up my cold, steely nasi lemak container.

Of course, my dreamy vision was immediately replaced by astronauts / taikonauts / cosmonauts popping their red or yellow pills stamped “Malaysian nasi lemak“.

The foil container revealed a nasi lemak lookalike WITH a deliciously, fragrant scent – but hey, where’s the CUCUMBER???

airasia-nasi-lemak-in-a-box

Oh well, eat first, talk later. Scooping in spoonfuls of hot rice mixed with the sambal and ikan bilis and then savouring the tender pieces of chicken rendang, I have to say that Air Asia has successfully introduced a noteworthy meal on its no-frills flight πŸ™‚

I love the nasi lemak on Malaysian Airlines’ flight so I’ll say good work, Air Asia. Next time, remember the cucumber, ok? And more sambal, please!

Cheers,
A nasi lemak-deprived Malaysian

• drey June 12, 2009, 9:14 am

Ahhhh… Way to make me drool, Kitty!!! =)

By the way, my book blog has a few giveaways that are open internationally–make sure you check them out!

• Paik Ling June 12, 2009, 11:29 am

Oh, you poor girl, I can only understand your cravings (what more, now!). During my recent visit to Japan, I craved for spicy food on the 3rd day!

• natasya June 12, 2009, 1:10 pm

Hi Kitty, there’s a Malaysian Nyonya Restaurant in Shanghai. It is at Dagu Lu ( Dagu Road ). I ate there most of the time when i was visiting Shanghai as i am a chinese muslim, there wasn’t much choices of food available in China. You can have your nasi lemak rendang chicken / kari chicken over there.

Cheers

• a-moms-diary June 15, 2009, 7:38 pm

I’ve heard people touting Air Asia’s nasi lemak as the best they’ve had πŸ™‚ I also love the nasi lemak on MAS, and speaking of which, I just had nasi lemak for breakfast this morning…don’t worry, you can have nasi lemak to your heart’s content when you come back in July.

• NomadicMom June 16, 2009, 9:31 pm

I haven’t taken an MAS flight for ages…. BUT tomorrow I am. So let’s see if the serve nasi lemak…and I’ll let you know is the taste. πŸ™‚

• Kit June 19, 2009, 9:50 am

Drey – Sorry, I didn’t mean to. I was on a dream flight there LOL Thanks for the info but I don’t really like sci-fi or fantasy…also, probably no time to read later when the baby’s out!

Paik Ling – You just know what we’re going to attack the minute we land in KLIA πŸ™‚

Natasya – Thanks for the info. I bet fans of Malaysian nasi lemak in Shanghai will find this helpful!

A Mom’s Diary – Really? I didn’t know that LOL. I’ve got a visitor coming over and I’m gonna ask him to bring me a box of KLIA/MAS nasi lemak. Hope he can!!!

• Pia September 23, 2012, 3:38 pm

Sold!
    I’m picking out my meal for my flight next week as we speak, so thought I’d google the old “Pak Nasser’s Nasi Lemak” and low and behold and nice little review!
    Thanks πŸ™‚

• Kitty September 23, 2012, 6:29 pm

Pia – Nice to know the review convinced you to go for it. I hope that it’s just as nice as it was 3 years ago and that you get cucumber and more sambal πŸ™‚