Let’s Go the the Supermarket

I knew I had to do it one day. It’s now or never. *Breathe*

You might think what’s so tough about shopping for food? Here’s my dilemma:

• pushing an ACTIVE 23 month old toddler
  • maneuvering a stroller around non-wheelchair friendly places (I’ve had to haul him in his stroller up 3 steps once. Oof, heavy!)
  • keeping my shopping list to what I can throw into the stroller basket
  • getting everything on the list before he starts screaming for yoghurt/roasted chestnuts (???)/pau etc if we pass those aisles

I decided to go after lunch when he’s a bit drowsy from rice (I hope). That’s also when I have any energy left.

I dumped our jackets at the counter and went straight for the meat section. The boy was surprisingly co-operative in the supermarket as he happily sipped water from his bottle, pausing to point at the fish in the aquarium tanks. Once, one suicidal fish jumped out and plopped onto the floor!

I can’t bring myself to buy any fresh fish or prawns yet because you need to fish them out LIVE. Hubby says that they WHACK the fish against the wall for a quick death. Ugh…

Many of the things there are recognizably Asian but there are some quirky items I can’t identify. I’ll get shots of them next time.

When in doubt, go global:

Cheerios
Cheerios in China isn’t as good as the Cheerios you’d buy in Cold Storage. I suspect that it’s made in China and it’s a cheap version i.e. mostly flour and sugar 😛

Chips Ahoy! I thought there were by Nabisco…guess they’re a sub of Kraft??? The quality isn’t as good coz the cookies taste slightly burnt.

Ayam brand tuna fish – RMB16 per can! I’m not yearning for this canned bit of home yet (who does?) but this may be one of the items I’m bringing over after CNY.

Maggi seasoning I don’t really know how to use this but I couldn’t find Marmite. This is backup!

Tomatoes – I love the tomatoes here, as they are practically seedless. I use them every other day…ok, right, since they are anti-oxidants???

Zucchini-like veg – No idea what I’m gonna do with it yet!

Bread – They always come in about 1/2 loaf sizes in these cutesy, well-packaged form. I feel it’s such a waste of packaging. After all, bread is bread. But bread isn’t that popular in China, which is why they are sold in small packs. Half a loaf (6 slices) costs about RMB5!!!

In the meantime, the boy was very placid. That’s because he’d fallen asleep! This allowed me to look at other stuff in peace. Hey, I can do this everyday if he’s like that 🙂

• Syn December 19, 2007, 10:04 pm

wah, barvo! you dare to go grocery shopping alone with the boy….the only times i did with the girl as i had no choice, i really shopped light (that is, only 1-2 items) and fast too. 🙂

and last week was the first time i had dinner alone with her at sushi king…daring eh?! 😉

• sasha December 19, 2007, 10:57 pm

wah got new house! now only i know about it!

• Angeleyes December 20, 2007, 8:23 am

That zucchini look a like stuff is Japanese cucumber ler… those used in sushi… 😛 Or fresh gerkins (used to make those pickles used in hamburgers.

The maggi seasoning is for you to use to marinade meat or you could always use some to give taste to stir-fry dishes… MSG.. bleh~

He is such a good boy there…. 🙂

• allthingspurple December 20, 2007, 9:23 am

Awwww..just look at that. The little angel is all tired out.

• Josette December 20, 2007, 4:18 pm

Aiyo…go shopping until sleep ah? Kesian…

• Kit December 21, 2007, 2:57 am

Syn – I HAD to coz I ran out of potatoes, onions and veggies! Still a long way to go with this domestic goddess role. Dinner out? Good for you!!! I hope to try lunch on our own one day…

Sasha – not minelah, RENTED one. Came with cockroaches too! 🙂

Angeleyes – thanks, Chef! Guess I won’t be using the Jap cucumber. MSG??!! No wonder my Mum doesn’t have it in her kitchen. Ok, will trash.

AllThingsPurple – “Little Angel”? Hardly, if you check that football video. Tired, yes hehe

Josette – Uh, all he did was sit in the stroller and sip water…enjoying life, I’d say. The pic is taken in our apartment, which meant that I HAULED him + stroller up 3 steps!

• huisia December 23, 2007, 8:12 am

the taste of the Maggie Seasoning is quite different than our M’sia taste.

• Kit December 25, 2007, 10:39 pm

Hui Sia – I haven’t tasted it yet coz I don’t really know how to use it LOL

• beckysmum December 26, 2007, 5:43 am

Since Anne turn 2, I seldom go shopping with her alone! She refused to sit on stroller. That’s why! So, no shopping with mummy! 😛

• Kit December 26, 2007, 3:45 pm

Beckysmum – Aiyo…he has no choice! Luckily, he’s co-operative so far i.e. walk from door to gate and then into the stroller. I feed him biscuits/water to keep him quiet. On the way back, he has to carry one bag to help!