This week’s instruction for “The Real Food Challenge” looks deceptively easy:
All grains consumed must be 100% whole-grain.
According to Wikipedia, whole grains are:
- Barley – Hulled and Dehulled (not Pearl)
- Brown rice
- Sprouted Grains
Common whole grain products include:
- Whole wheat flour
- Whole wheat Bread
- Whole wheat Pasta
- Rolled oats or oat groats
- Triticale flour
- Teff flour
Common refined non-whole grain products include:
- White rice – a staple in our diet especially my son. My daughter seems to prefer congee or noodles, which are softer and easier to digest for a toddler.
- White flour – bread, cakes, cookies!!!
- White bread – easy as I don’t buy it 😀
- Pasta (non-whole wheat varieties) – frequently our weekend “go to” meal, which I am hoping to change.
Will update soon about how difficult this part of the challenge is!