After a successful start to Week 1: Two fruits and/or vegetables per meal, I think I should recap if we managed to stick to it this week:
Mon - (Breakfast) Salad, kids ate cut apples with cereal, (Lunch) Two types of green vegetables; (Tea) Pear slices, (Dinner)
Tues - Salad, kids
Wed - ???
Breakfast – ???
Lunch and dinner – Stir-fried squash – introduced by the ayi, which the kids love and of course, we love it too
Breakfast – Pear for kids, I had HUGE bunch of xiao bai cai with my Maggie mee (oops!),
Lunch and dinner – Stir-fried spinach and wintermelon soup
Tea – Orange quarters
Pardon the blanks in the above – I have been too busy preparing meals, feeding the kids and catching up with work that I did not note down our meals. Think it’s time I started a food diary.
Anyway, let’s go on to Step 2 of the “Real Food Challenge”:
Week 2: “Real” beverages – Beverages will be limited to coffee, tea, water, and milk (only naturally sweetened with a little honey or 100% pure maple syrup). One cup of juice will be allowed throughout the week, and wine (preferably red) will be allowed in moderation (an average of one drink per day).
Coffee - I don’t drink it but Hubby is addicted to it. Last week, I had my favourite Starbucks Caramel Frappucino (without whipped cream) after probably 5 months of not having it? I am cutting down on caffeine because caffeine makes me hyperactive!
Tea - I take it sometimes.
Water - *Trying* to drink my 8 x 8 oz glasses per day. Hubby drinks a lot of water. Son drinks 3 x 800 ml per day while daughter drinks about 3 x 600 ml per day especially when she had a bout of constipation a few weeks ago. Scared her silly!
- Hubby and I drink skim milk and our daily doze of kefir and yogurt respectively. We’re trying to take about 8 oz of kefir / yogurt daily.
- Kids drink i) 2 x 7 oz powdered dried milk (whole milk, not formula milk) and ii) 2 x 4 oz whole, pasteurized UHT cow’s or goat’s milk daily. We try to encourage them to drink fresh milk as much as possible.
One cup of juice per week
- No problem here for the kids or me since our favourite juice bar closed down Anyway, I can’t take fruit juices nowadays and fresh fruits are more beneficial than fruit juices so no biggie.
- Hubby LOVES to drink fruit juices so I’m gonna bug him about this!
That’s it for this week. No problem with real beverages – just a headache with fruits because we are all a bit bored with the fruits in China…
- The Real Food Challenge
- How To Make Your Own Yogurt
- Week 1: Two fruits and/or vegetables per meal
- Week 12: The Real Food Challenge – No sweeteners
- Week 5 – Real Food Challenge: Try TWO new whole foods