Bananas are some of my kids’ favourite fruits. When we arrived in China and I had to get fruits for the family, Dole bananas are among our staple items:
Dole bananas are not cheap especially as a large comb cost between CNY18-20 nowadays! Boy do I remember those days when we used to buy a comb every other day because it was my tot’s favourite fruit 😀
According to the Dole website:
Bananas are packed with vitamins and minerals. Just one large banana provides 25 percent of the Recommended Daily Allowance of Vitamin B6, 20 percent of Vitamin C, 14 percent of potassium, 18 percent of manganese and 14 percent of dietary fiber.
- Vitamin B6 helps lower levels of homocysteine, an amino acid that at high levels can increase the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Fiber has been shown to reduce the risk of coronary heart disease. Bananas contain 3g of fiber, so you’re off to a good start.
- Potassium plays an important role in helping to regulate blood pressure levels. Bananas are a good source of potassium.
- Manganese supports antioxidant functions throughout the body.
- Vitamin C prevents oxidation of LDL “bad” cholesterol.
I have to admit that I love bananas too and I used to make my own banana pancakes to pack to school when I was just 10 years old 😀
However, now that I’ve got rather high blood sugar levels, I am more mindful of the types of fruits I buy for the kids and the rest of the family.
Also, I try to buy local bananas when I can find them. Then again, it’s quite a risk buying from the locals because sometimes, you have no idea WHERE they farm.
At least with an established company like Dole, which actually practises organic farming for their bananas, I’m sure of eating bananas that have been produced under Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), right, right?